The Telematics Cluster accelerates the use of intelligent telematics solutions in the area of traffic management, mobility and logistics.
The members of the Telematics Cluster form a unique platform, representing all stakeholders of the business: users, operators, integrators, technology
suppliers and knowledge institutes. The Telematics Cluster actively stimulates the collaboration of private companies with
regional, national and European governments for the implementation of Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS).
It is our mission to assist our members in building a solid future-proof telematics strategy in a European context, by stimulating innovation,
and business development. We believe in a pragmatic project-based approach, where networking events and individual advice are combined with workshops and
The Telematics Cluster was founded in 2003 and is supported by the Flemish Government, via IWT (Instituut
voor de aanmoediging van
Innovatie door Wetenschap en Technologie in Vlaanderen).
Telematics and ITS
Vehicle telematics combines IT and mobile communication for the delivery of content and information towards vehicles and mobile users, improving road
efficiency, safety and comfort.
Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) describes any system or service that makes the movement of people or goods more efficient and economical, thus more
The application of vehicle telematics in the area of Intelligent Transport Systems affects different applications like:
- Relevant real-time information about current traffic congestion
- Navigation and dynamic route guidance
- Fleet management and on-line vehicle tracking
- Emergency calls and remote assistance
- Electronic toll collection and digital tachograph
This variety of services allows authorities, operators and individual travellers to make better-informed, more intelligent transport decisions. ITS can
make every journey quicker, more comfortable, less stressful, and safer.
The vehicle telematics sector is expected to grow exponentially towards large-scale implementations offering enormous business opportunities for all
players in the value chain. By 2007 worldwide telematics revenue will
reach € 8,55 billion, from which 47 % will be hardware board computers and 53 %
software and services.
Telematics and ITS offer unknown possibilities for the automation of the mobility information on our roads. Nevertheless, the sector is still in its
infancy stage. Several issues can be mentioned in this respect:
- Lack of knowledge and political support: The use of vehicle telematics is relatively new in traffic and logistics management.
- Lack of partnerships: Successful telematics deployment requires the integration of a complete value chain of infrastructure, technologies, services and operations.
- Unproven business models: At the end of the day, return on investment in vehicles telematics must be proven. Once again, positive business models require intense collaboration and shared investment.
- Need for funding: In a market where R&D and business development require a decisive pre-funding, an efficient gateway to governmental subsidies and risk capital becomes a critical success factor.
- Lack of standards: Standards are needed to accelerate the development of compatible hardware and applications, and drive the overall costs down.
The above-mentioned challenges make the case for a neutral intermediary organization, the Telematics Cluster. It is our mission to assist our members in
understanding their role in this complex value chain and build a solid telematics strategy, as customer or as supplier.